Sunday, November 21, 2010

Biking and other adventures in exercising

Today I jumped on my bike and headed up to my office, which is about a 25 minute ride. I try to make this ride once a week as part of my exercise and I love that I get both A) cardio and B) the opportunity to be outside for a little bit. It was a beautiful day - warm, sunny and breezy - and I love getting out in the neighborhood on a bike - you get to see your town in such a different way!

Exercise is a hard one for me - I don't really enjoy gyms. If I try to make myself be a gym person, I know it won't last and I'll be back on the couch before I can say "free weight." I'm whiny, bored and too spastic to be able to enjoy an hour at the gym 3 times a week!

So I'm trying to mix it up. Nightclub Cardio on Wedensdays (a dance-type of aerobics class that's really a lot of fun - I was surprised how much I enjoyed it!), the gym on Fridays with Mandy (who is very motivating and has some fresh hell to put me through each week) and once a week on the bike (to work and back - about an hour). I'm slowly adding one more day of either walking or hitting the gym for the treadmill or elliptical, but honestly it depends on the week.

I like the freedom to do different stuff and still have it be healthy, not obsessive trips to the torture palace (aka gym). What about you - are you a gym rat? Do you LOVE Pilates? How do you stay healthy?

2 comments:

katielou said...

I'm with you, I have free access to the campus rec, but getting myself to go is the hardest part! I'm trying to find some places in Austin to go, like nightclub cardio, once I get into my work routine in January

Sarah said...

OH! I heard they were expanding to Austin next year - I'll keep you posted!

Post a Comment