After reading The Happiness Project last year, I was inspired to better my life and improve my health through making (and actually sticking to) resolutions. Things I accomplished, like taking a meditation class and joining Weight Watchers again were successful, but my goals for spending less, making more and working less didn't work out so well. In 2011, I'm going to pick up where I left off and add some new stuff to the mix!
Here's the 10 resolutions I would like to do this year (I'm saving 3 at the bottom as TBD so I can add more later)!
1. Lose 30lbs - I'm turning 30 on March 7th and I want to be close to my goal by then, but I'm cool with it taking longer. Thirty pounds is a lot of weight and it's going to take time to shed it plus it's going to take some adjustment to keep it off for good.
Ways I'm going to make it happen: stick with WW and track every day, work out with Mandy
2. Make my own wardrobe - I want a stylish, mix and match wardrobe that works for my lifestyle and fits me perfectly. In 2011, I would like to design this dream wardrobe - including things I already have and things I want to make. After I figure out what I need, I'm going to start making my own clothes!
Ways I'm going to make this happen: sketch out my dream wardrobe, clean out my closet - pull pieces from my current wardrobe and donate/sell the rest, source patterns and fabric for stuff to make, make sewing schedule and get going!
3. Become a (most of the time) vegetarian - I love animals and have read that a vegetarian diet can reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer and diabetes. While it might be hard to give up meat eating in all situations, I can at least have most of my meals be meat free while I'm at home. I'm no good with an all or nothing approach, so striving for 70% to 80% vegetarian will be flexible enough to keep me going!
Ways I'm going to make this happen: study up on good vegetarian foods, stock my pantry and fridge with foods that are filling, delicious and healthy, and hit up my veggie/vegan friends for tips!
3a. Learn to spell vegetarian - spell check was like "Dude - you spelled this differently 3 times in the same paragraph. Get your sh*t together!"
4. Go back to Marfa - that little town way out west has something special about it that I can't put my finger on. Every time I think about our trip there in 2009, I keep wanting to go back!
Ways I'm going to make this happen: Make Ryan take me back to Marfa!
5. Create and stick to a monthly budget - saving money is a virtue and I would like to be better at squirreling money away for a rainy day.
Ways I'm going to make this happen: write a budget by identifying things I want to splurge on/save for/not spend on, and track it like Weight Watchers.
6. Volunteer - I'm already committed to Interfaith Ministries for both the AniMeals on Wheels program and the Friendly Visitor program, so that's something I would like to remain consistent with.
I also want to raise money for PugHearts )because, as you may know the love of my life is a handsome, chubby curmudgeon named Tex, and these people so damn much for his type!) and start a new coat drive in the fall to help those in need.
Ways I'm going to make this happen: continue with Interfaith volunteering, contact PugHearts about how to help and start organizing coat drive by contacting local businesses who can help, putting the word out and getting some coats!
7. Meditate every day - just like flossing, sometimes you need to do something every day to make it stick and I am going to do this every day just to have some quiet time in the morning. I think it sets a nice pace for the rest of the day and helps you be less harried.
Ways I'm going to make this happen: butt on the cushion every morning for 15 minutes.